Skip to main content

Road Test: Suzuki V-Strom DL650 XT ABS review

Okay I'm going to come out and say it, I've fallen in love with this bike. But don't stop reading there, there are still pros and cons to this like any other bike, just for some reason I really connected to the V-Strom 650 and it brought back the spark that has been missing from my road riding for quite some time.
Now if you keep tabs on me like a stalker you'll know I came off my personal 650 last April, and ever since I've struggled with road riding. Sure I can ride on the road no problem, but the enjoyment has been seriously lacking for the last year. That all changed as soon as I swung a leg over the Suzuki V-Strom outside of Coleman's Suzuki in the Auckland CBD.

The 'Stom hasn't really changed much of late, at least not since it had a major aesthetic upgrade in few years ago, but as anyone who knows Suzuki will know, they don't change anything unless they have a very good reason, and the V-Strom as is, is a very well composed package.

At the heart of the 'Strom is the same 645cc 90 degree V-Twin that first saw the light of day in 1999 in the much-loved SV650. For an older engine I found it astonishing the level of fuel economy this engine can achieve. With a 20-litre fuel tank you'd see well over 400km with the as tested 23.4 KM/L economy the bike's computer was reporting.

Holding the V-Strom back offroad is the lack of protection for the engine, with the oil filter very open to damage.
Compared to my old Hyosung, which had an engine based off the SV650 unit, that is an improvement in economy of over 5 km/l! That said the Hyo' had a noticeable 10hp or so, more power than the V-Strom brings to the table

While power for some is everything, in a bike like the V-Stom, which is built to gobble up the miles no matter what the road surface is like, reliability is more of a concern. I have personally seen a bike (my good friend Ben's old bike) truck along to over 160,000km (100,000 miles!!!) with no major issues. I'd rather have a bike that will go the distance rather than one that gets places ridiculously quickly.

Weighing in at 215 Kg you'd be forgiven for thinking the 'Strom is a bit of a heavy, slow behemoth. You'd be quite wrong though. While it is a slightly taller bike with a seat height of 835mm, the V-Strom is one of the best balanced bikes I've ever ridden.

That balance is what gave me the courage to head off the highway and onto the beaten track to put the V-Strom's go anywhere chops to the test.

While it will never compete with a proper traily, the V-Strom holds it's own well for a bike, road biased bike.

The first adventure test I put the V-Strom to was the long gravel road leading to the centre of the Hunua Ranges. While the long, plush suspension, takes up the abuse gravel poses well it did reach its limits on gnarly pot-holes. It is adjustable for preload however, which is great is like so many others you plan to load up the 'Strom with luggage or a pillion and hit the long road.



Likewise the factory Bridgestone tyres are all about balancing that highway - off road ability so I did feel a bit uncomfortable on the more slippery sections of gravel but they were very confidence inspiring on the highway.

After safely making my way in the middle of the Hunuas, and somehow finding myself on a BMX track, I figured it was about time for a bigger challenge, the sand of Port Waikato.

Port Waikato is a good 50 minute ride away from my home in Papakura in South Auckland. The road out there is quite varied, with sections that have been poorly maintained as well as long beautifully maintained straights.

The V-Strom is supremely comfortable with great rider ergonomics and an adjustable windscreen. I had the screen at the highest setting which kept the wind off my chest and meant that I wasn't as fatigued as I normally am after riding for the same amount of distance.

The clocks are very easy to read with a nice analogue tachometer and a digital display for everything else. Included is a gear position indicator (always a plus!) as well as the usual trip meters and fuel gauge. One strange exclusion from the dash however is a clock, which is one of the more useful things to display. That said, with my experience riding the 'Strom I didn't care what the time was and didn't want the ride to end.

When it comes to stopping, whether it be in a hurry or just to pull in to the servo, you've got ABS as a backstop for the Tokiko brakes.





This model, the DL650XA comes with special tubeless wire rims which reduce un-sprung weight as well as give the 'Strom a bit more visual cred for the off road stuff. They also provide the benefit that if you do get a puncture, you can plug it a lot easier than a wheel with an inner tube.

After arriving at Port Waikato, and reading the signs warning 'High performance dirt bike and quad riders' to bugger off lest the cops are called, I hit the dunes at the Maraetai Bay access point.

Riding on sand is unlike anything I have ever done before. The bike sinks into the sand and everything you know about bike control is useless. Thankfully I adapted rather quickly thanks to prepping with a few YouTube videos on how to ride on sand and I made it to my photoshoot location without any problems.

Driven's resident photographer Ted Baghurst, a bikie from way back, gave me the sound advice to take along a jar lid to put the sidestand on to prevent it from sinking into the sand. I'm so glad I followed his advice as I would have been screwed without it. Thanks Ted!

With the photoshoot over I got a little cocky and headed deeper into the dunes. I'm not stranger to the area since it is in fact one of my favourite places to go fishing near Auckland, although I'm normally driving my Subaru Forester which doesn't fall over in deep sand.

That's where things became unstuck.
After deciding to pack up and finally head to the Driven office I opted for the access road I normally take in the Subaru. Unfortunately for me what I never noticed in the Foz (that's an affectionate nickname for a Forester FYI) is just how soft the sand is on this track.

After dropping the Suzuki on both sides thanks to losing control in the deep sand I had had enough and after a 7 point turn turned around and went back the way I had come in.

Once home and after washing away all the sand I was quite pleased to find little to no damage to the 'Strom. Sand is definitely preferable to fall off on than an busy Auckland motorway for more reasons than one!

After a little over a week with the DL650XA it sadly is going back to Suzuki NZ via Coleman's Suzuki before my next adventure, riding to Paihia with Harley-Davidson. If I had the $14,995 + ORC this particular bike however wouldn't be going anywhere. It'd be staying in my garage for many, many, more adventures.

It's been a while, but I finally have the fire in my spirit that I had prior to my crash, and it is a surprise to even me that it wasn't on the newest, flashest, most hi-tech, bike out that brought that fire back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.