Skip to main content

Motorcycle highlights of 2015

2015 was an incredible year for the motorcycling industry and the public has really benefited from a huge range of bikes being introduced. Unfortunately for me there were so many bikes released this year I simply didn’t get a chance to ride them all, with some incredible bikes like Yamaha’s all-new R1 and every dirt bike on the planet still on my ‘must ride’ list.


With that in mind my top bike of the year is picked out of the ones I’ve swung a leg over this year, and boy there have been some highlights!



Yamaha finally returned to the sub 400cc sportsbike market this year with the sporty little R3. With the biggest engine in the Japanese 300cc class (at 320cc) a wicked handling frame and ABS all for under $8,000 it stood out of the increasingly competitive LAMS crowd this year.



Who says newer is better? Triumph’s capable classic has the cool factor and isn’t afraid of gravel roads. With its Bonneville derived siblings all getting a major update next year the Scrambler will soon be the only bike to run the tried and true air-cooled 865cc engine. It’s 360 degree crank sounds glorious while providing plenty of usable torque, and you know it’s cool because the King of cool - Steve McQueen had one.



I seem cursed that at each motorcycle launch I attend it rains. Seriously, I can’t catch a break. At the Suzuki GSX-S1000 launch it didn’t rain, it poured. The main selling point of the GSX-S apart from more relaxed ergonomics was its advanced traction control. You’d be hard pressed to lose it in almost any conditions it felt that composed in the atrocious weather. With performance from the legendary 2005 GSXR derived engine and a sharp price starting from $16,995 it’s one of the best high performance sports bikes your money that you could happily ride every day, rain, hail, snow.



The biggest surprise of the year had to be the Harley-Davidson Project Livewire. I was lucky to ride the prototype in Malaysia in March, and months later it I’m still thinking about it regularly. With a design that doesn’t scream ‘Welcome to the dystopian future!’ and decent riding performance complete with unique sound to back it up, Harley could be onto a winner if they just build the thing (with a little more range too). While it’s not targeting Harley die hards, it is definitely a cooler way into Generation Y’s hearts than the little Street 500. With competitor Victory now selling an EV in the USA we can expect the big H-D will make a decision whether to get in on the action in the next 18 months. Please Harley put it in production!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.