Skip to main content

My fuzzy take on falling off my bike in the middle of rush hour traffic and why I got away with minor injuries


In a somewhat ironic turn of events, not 36 hours after my safe winter riding stories went online on Driven.co.nz I was staring at my bike as it lay on top of me in the middle of rush hour traffic.


While statistically having an accident causing injury on a motorcycle is supposedly quite high, this was the first time I’d come off in my 7 years of riding.


Something that I didn’t believe was likely however was the kindness and care from fellow motorists that came to my aid in my time of need.


While I can’t go into details of how I ended up in such a position (insurance is still to come through etc) I can say that my position wasn’t at all one to be envied.


There I was, lying on the center lane of Auckland’s Southern Motorway, a large truck stopped feet away with all 200 + Kgs of my motorbike lying on my right leg.


The first thought going through my mind was ‘damn, I’m holding up the motorway, I’ve got to get back on my bike’. Looking back it was a weird thought but at that stage I knew nothing of how damaged the bike and I were.


As I struggled to free myself a number of gents - I don’t know exactly how many as I was  in a state of shock - helped me free and lifted the bike up.


With coolant spilling everywhere it was clear that I wasn’t getting back on my bike so my new temporary friends helped me and the bike to the side of the motorway before one gave me his number as a witness of what happened and I struggled to find the phone number for my insurance company.
The fate of my  GT650 Hyosung 'Trooper' is currently unknown.


While on the phone I started to notice a pain in my leg where the bike had broken its fall and decided I’d better sit down while I tried to organise transport for my bike and myself.


This is when the heroine of the story showed up, driving a bright red Fiat 500C Abarth.
Asking if I was alright and if I needed a lift I meekly replied something to the effect of ‘yes, to the A&E please’.


Normally a complete stranger would drop you off at the door to the A&E but my new friend who went by the name Sarah, not only helped me in with all my now ruined gear, but stayed with me until I was seen by the doctor. I definitely owe her a couple of drinks at the local for her assistance.


Apparently this is what getting off lucky looks like...
As for me, the doc said I was lucky to get away with no broken bones and only “soft tissue damage” which is doctor speak for major bruising and swelling.


To me though, there was no luck to it and the key to escaping without any broken bones or cuts was I was wearing all of the best protective gear I have. With a helmet, gloves, boots and jacket, all with built in shock absorbing armour, I was well protected when I hit the road. I’m in no doubt that if I was wearing my usual Kevlar lined riding jeans and a leather jacket I would have broken at least my leg, if not more.  


I guess the moral of the story is wearing all the right gear all of the time is definitely worth the slight inconvenience of putting it all off and changing out of it again. As my experience suggests, you can also count on the generosity and compassion of your fellow Kiwi motorist when you find yourself in a time of need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.