Skip to main content

Taking a few laps in the Lexus LFA supercar

I'm lucky to sample some of the best cars that make it to our shores, and 2015 has started off with a bang with some incredibly rare and expensive cars.

While we mainly focus on driving on the road, where let's face it, the majority of cars spend their time, some cars just can't be understood until you hit the racetrack to truly appreciate what they're capable of.

Enter the Lexus LFA.

With only two of the 500 examples of the LFA ever imported to New Zealand, Toyota and Lexus New Zealand borrowed LFA #496/500 from owners, Lexus Singapore, for a couple of months to display and demonstrate the Lexus supercar during the Toyota 86 Championship series.

Unlike other supercars that feature wide carbon-fibre tubs that make getting in and out an experience in itself, the Lexus is much more restrained with distinctly Japanese DNA dictating form following function,  which thankfully makes getting in and out of the LFA much more like an everyday car.



Being hand built by a workforce of only 175, the LFA is an impressive piece of kit. A wide white wedge that looks both menacing and beautiful at the same time.

Sam MacNeill from Toyota New Zealand, is the only person lucky enough to drive the LFA 496 while it resides on our shores.

"It was a bit of right place right time" MacNeill says in regards to securing the drive of the LFA.

"I'd heard a bit of a rumour that it was coming out and with my previous involvement with the racing and already being at the racing meetings anyway, I just put my hand up and said 'how about me?'"

"There was some criteria in terms of insurance and things like that, I had to have an international race licence which fortunately I had from my Toyota Racing Series days so I got the call up" Said MacNeill

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zesMT3e6KLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QuB35lfXSHA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sitting inside there is notably and absence of any form of cup holder as a reader pointed out on  Driven's Facebook page, a subtle hint at what the LFA wasn't built for Grand Touring down highways, this is a drivers car.

Sure it is one of the most useable daily supercars you can possibly find, but under the carbon-fibre body is an 4.8-litre V10 built in the factory that once built Toyota's Formula One engines, so you know this supercar has the pedigree to take it to the track and deliver.

"The LFA is neatral in terms of its balance, the only thing that holds it back is its on road tyres." Says MacNeill.

"It's halfway between a track car and a race car"

The hand built V10 is just waiting to scream its way to the redline, which reputedly happens in 6/10ths of a second.

As we make our way to the track a feeling of anticipation takes over me.

This is very different to the last car I was lucky enough to be on track with Sam in and every bone in my body can feel it.

As we exit the pit lane and enter the track proper, Sam jumps on the throttle and we're off for the best two laps of Hampton Downs I've ever had.

As we exit turn two all I can blurt out is "wow". It really is a much different experience to riding in a supercar on public roads. It is much, much better.

Sure I'm not driving, but the experience of sitting in a rare, $1 million plus Lexus going full tilt around my local race track is something I'm not going to forget

And the highlight for the LFA's kiwi driver?

"When I go away from the track after driving it the thing that just keeps coming back into my mind is the noise, that V10 screaming is just unbelieveable."

That sums it up nicely. It may not have cup holders, but the LFA needs to be heard at full chap to be truly appreciated.

This example won't be in the country much longer, with its final appearances slated for the final two rounds of the Toyota Finance 86 Championship. If you're anywhere near Manfeild on the weekend of 14th to 15th February, and at Hampton Downs on the 28th it's definitely worth an up close look.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.