Skip to main content

#Roadtest: Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport 2014

Distinct styling stands out in a crowd



 The Triumph Tiger name is a weighty one. Mention it to anyone who remembers the 1960s and they'll tell you of the offroad prowess of the original bikes.

Fast forward 50 years and the Tiger line has evolved into two very distinct areas. Offroad adventure-style riding is taken care of by the Tiger Explorer 1200 and the trio of Tiger 800 models, while road focused touring duties are the purview of the Tiger 1050 Sport.

The Tiger Sport's outward design has changed little since its introduction in 2007 when it was the only Tiger in the Triumph lineup. With a tall seat, small front fairing and Triumph's 1050cc inline triple engine, the Tiger has held its ground in the segment.

I can't help but compare the Tiger 1050 Sport's  striking and unique look to that of the praying mantis. The shape of the front cowling, in my eyes, resembles the head of the mantis, while the long telescopic forks are the creature's arms. I don't know if this makes me strange or not, and I suspect that most people would probably draw parallels between the Tiger Sport and a desert storming Dakar rally style race bike. Either way you can't deny that the Tiger Sport has its own distinct style. Its height certainly helps the Tiger Sport to stand out from the crowd, towering to an almost trail bike height of 1310mm.

This is comparable to the Tiger's adventure spec cousins and can make the bike unwieldy for those not gifted with a lengthy inseam.

Perched atop the tall 830mm seat I found that even as an average height rider of 176cm, the Tiger does feel like a tall bike, with my feet only just being able to touch the ground. This is despite a new rear subframe dropping the rider height 5mm from the previous bike.

The new subframe also tilts the rider forward at a slight angle, which felt odd to begin with but I soon settled in. My feeling is that if the lower section of the fuel tank was thinner, this would help open up the Tiger to shorter riders, as it does seem to splay your knees outward, therefore losing precious centimetres you could otherwise put to use in getting a firm footing at a stop.

The thought did strike me that this would have made the Tiger an interesting proposition to ride at low speeds, but the rider position did help to alleviate any worries about low speed manoeuvring. This was thanks in part to the wide bars and large 180/55 ZR 17 footprint of the rear tyre the bike, which was quite easy to handle once the bike was moving.

With long Showa 43mm fully adjustable forks mounting to 4-piston Nissin brakes on 320mm rotors, the Tiger has you covered when it comes to handling and stopping performance once you place the Tiger Sport in its natural habitat of long journeys and twisty bends.

The Tiger Sport on test was fitted with the colour-matched Triumph panniers which are barely noticeable thanks to weight balancing technology when on the road and enjoying the sport part of sport touring. With a capacity of 55.5 L, the Tiger's panniers I found had more than enough space for an over-packed one day stay, with the left hand side pannier being able to fit a full face helmet inside with no troubles (the right has to accommodate the Tiger's exhaust). The panniers also don't require a second key; operating instead on the same unit that turns the bike on.

With a revised version of the legendary Triumph 1050cc triple powering the Tiger Sport there is no question about the bike's sport pedigree. With an additional 10hp over the previous model bringing the Tiger Sport to 92Kw of peak power, you can overtake with ease and with a fantastic mid-range just begging to be exploited you never feel like you're going to send the Tiger to an early grave when taking it for a "spirited" ride.

Weighing in at 235kg the Tiger Sport is reasonably light for the physical space that it takes up in the garage. However due it its tall design it carries much of its weight up high.

And if you don't give it the respect it deserves you can, as I found out, end up with the Tiger perched atop you.

Luckily the Triumph accessory catalogue is filled with a number of parts to prevent damage to the bike such as the crash bars fitted to our test model which help in making the already incredibly durable Tiger even more so.

You never know. Maybe one day someone will really put the Tiger Sport 1050 to the ultimate test and ship it to the Dakar.


FAST FACTS
ENGINE: 92Kw 1050cc DOHC inline 3-cylinder
WEIGHT: 235kg (wet)
SEAT HEIGHT: 830mm
PRICE: $21,990

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.