Skip to main content

Getting sorted for the Racetrack: Track Days

Last week I got to drive the new variation of the Toyota 86 during a photoshoot and started thinking about racetracks. So For the next couple of weeks I'm going to try and cover all the aspects of getting yourself and your car onto a local track for the absolute thrill of taking your car to its limits or for a bit of motorsport.

This week I'm covering the most basic part of getting onto the track, the track day.


So to get started, you first need to pick a track day to participate. www.playdayontrack.co.nz is a great place to start, as well as local car clubs, and in some cases, racetracks themselves host open track days like Hampton Downs in the North Waikato http://hamptondowns.co.nz/pages/201/car-track-days.htm.

Once you have decided on when to hit the track there are a few things you should have covered before you leave the house.

1. Is the car in general good condition?  In order to be allowed out on the track there are basic rules you need to adhere to and one of the first is whether you car is up to Warrant of Fitness standard. If your car isn't up the scratch you will not be allowed on to the track.

2. Tyres - are they in good overall condition? Do they have plenty of tread? Are they at the correct air pressure? Tyres need to be in good order as they are the only thing holding you to the road/track. Bad tyres will end with a bad time so it's worth forking out for quality tyres if you're planning on spending much time on the track. If you don't know what pressure to run your tyres on the day, just ask a fellow competitor or the organiser. They will be able to suggest to you what pressure to run for the track but if in doubt, run your manufacturer recommended pressure.

3. Oil - has it been changed recently? Good quality oil will limit the wear on the engine from the harder use that it will see at track RPM's. The older your oil the less effective it is as a lubricant.

4. Brakes (spelled BRAKES NOT BREAKS) - are the rotors and pads in good condition and have plenty of, for lack of a better word, meat to them? When was the brake fluid last changed? Braking ability on track is possibly one of the most important things to have in top order before you hit the track. The consequences of neglecting looking at your brakes is obviously a potential catastrophe waiting to happen. Brake fade from high brake temperature and use is a scary phenomenon which can cause you to have an off. Auto shops such as Repco stock race quality brake pads and brake fluid which are initially all you should need for your first foray onto the track.

5. Inside the car - Once at the track you will need to ensure you have no items in the cabin that are loose and have the potential to interfere with your driving experience. This is items such as drink bottles, McDonalds burger wrappers, cell phones, GPS devices and anything else that didn't come out of the factory with. The last thing you want is to be hitting your braking point and finding a half drunk bottle of coke under your brake pedal!

6. Personal - Most track days require minimal safety gear for participation but at the very least a certified helmet (often a motorcycle helmet will do) is required, along with covered shoes and in a lot of track days, overalls. Other track days however do require slightly more and it's always best to check with the organizer before leaving for the track.

Next week I'll start looking at competitive track action.



Oh, and since a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my life was seriously lacking in project cars I have found myself one. More details next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.