Skip to main content

Aston Martin one day, Track day the next

The past week has been pretty awesome in my world with a couple of very big highlights.

The first highlight was probably biggest of the nine months I have worked in the motoring world, going on a photoshoot with the editor in an Aston Martin Vanquish.
It's been a couple of days since the shoot as I write this but I am still fizzing over the all too short time I spent in the company of such an amazing car. The speed, the sound, the overall craftsmanship is just something I have never experience before all wrapped in the same package. Sadly having such a beautifully built machine in my own possession is probably destined to remain a dream with the Vanquish's price tag a staggering $420,000 (ish).

The second was spending a few hours at Hampton Downs in the Waikato helping with some marshaling and practicing taking a few snaps with my 1100D.


Apart from just having the pleasure of being at an in use track, there was also a few very expensive track cars testing during the track day. Among the elite were Toyota NZ's TR86 track car, at Hampton Downs for some tyre testing, a pair of R35 Nissan GTR's and a very interesting turbocharged Toyota MR-S racecar.




Back to Aston Martin. Turns out they are 100years old this year and celebrated by building the below  CC100 concept car.

All the car porn this week has left me thinking one thing...




...I need a project car

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw...

Aprilia SR125 Review

  Aprilia’s motto is “ desined  for racers, built for riders” – but does that translate to their scooter range?   I’ll admit that even with my  usual  level of enthusiasm  at collecting a shiny new bike , I wasn’t expecting a heck of a lot from Aprilia’s SR125  “ Motard ” scooter  out of the box.    After grabbing it from  Bayride  Motorcycles in Tauranga – straight off the showroom floor no less – with just 1km reading on the digital display,  I was expecting  my 80km ride home along the state highway  network  to take  much longer than the norm.   However, to my surprise, the little Aprilia not only made the trip in easy fashion, it hit the legal highway  speed  limit straight out of the box! An impressive feat, considering it was still – technically –   running in when I handed it back and was pushing a top speed which, at times, would  get a ...

Review: Subaru WRX Hyper Blue edition

When you think Subaru WRX the first picture that comes to mind is of a sedan adorned with scoops in the iconic World Rally Blue. I know I do and I still believe WR Blue is one of the best colours to ever adorn a Subaru, but it’s no longer my favourite. Hyper Blue as it is officially known, or Smurf Blue to my twisted mind is the latest and greatest colour to come out of the Subaru factory. Here’s the catch though. There will only be 10 WRX and 10 STI in New Zealand with the limited edition Hyper Blue spec. The colour isn’t the only change for the latest limited edition WRX, the interior has gained a few desirable extras too. The first eye-popping difference to the ordinary WRX is the rows upon rows of blue stitching, carefully colour-matched to the Hyper Blue exterior. A gentle stroke of the finger down any of the multitude of stitched seams and you can feel a certain quality to the stitching. The next big difference to the interior over the standard WRX is the seats, ...