Skip to main content

1997 Subaru Forester: I bought a project car ... again

I make no secrets about my love for Subaru's boxy boxer - the Forester, I simply have a strong connection to the first car I researched, saved for and then bought when I was a teen.

I even snuck a photo of my first Subaru, a 1997 Forester T/TB called the DeForester into the print edition of Driven Magazine recently thinking I'd never own another 'Foz' again.

That changed over the weekend when I saw this car, a 1997 Forester T/TB in completely unmolested form. After paying a reasonable amount of the weakening Kiwi dollar for it it is now mine, and I have a plan on what I'm going to do this time around.

My first Foz, The DeForester, was filled with go faster bits to improve performance on the road in every way imaginable. With the help of many friends over a period of time it went from an asthmatic automatic with sloppy handling, to a STi infected sleeper with 184kW at the wheels.

My original Forester was chassis 7411 and made 184kW at the wheels.
This time however going faster isn't going to be enough. This time I want to go anywhere - FAST.

At the time of purchase the new Foz, which I've come to calling the Mark II Deforester, wasn't really in the best of nick.

The EJ20 under the hood has a bad case of piston slap - while not fatal in of itself it is a worry. The state of the cooling system was a serious cause for concern, with rusty water sitting within instead of good old 'Predator Blood' green coolant.

So first thing on the agenda was to perform a good service and work out what I was dealing with.




Out came the old oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and anything else I could readily get my hands on. In went new parts and Castrol Magnatec 10w 40 oil.

Next I swung by the local tyre shot Drury Tires (that's tires with an I as they on the radio ads) and picked up a set of MAXXIS Bravo all terrains.

After its maiden voyage to the Coromandel the cooling system decided it had had enough, with pipes bursting at a scary frequency. So now I've just finished replacing the coolant hoses and all seems well.

The car has survived its first road trip, this time up north for a surf casting mission with some friends and even drove on the beach without getting stuck (see top pic).

Next plans include sorting out the steering rack with new bushes and a fluid flush, and kitting it out with a roof basket and some lighting for camping missions, as well as make a heavy duty bash plate to protect the the sump.

I'll also hopefully get some heavy duty lift springs for the front to match the springs in the rear to level her out and gain a bit more clearance up front.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.