Skip to main content

Quick Drive: Holden Trax

Photo by Ted Baghurst (http://tedbaghurst.com/)
Holden's new compact SUV the Trax is a funny thing. About the size of a mid sized hatchback but much much higher the Trax is easy to get in and out of like most SUVs.
Major differences with the Holden Trax to other SUV's however is the lack of a rear axle and all wheel drive. Which I will admit was rather scary to look under the rear of the car to see the rear wheels appear to only be connected to the rear struts, much like the superstrut system on some Toyota models.

The power is very urban friendly, and we even managed to get the wheels spinning with the TCS on in the atrocious weather we had in Auckland on the day that we went out to shoot it.

Styling wise it looks very much as part of GM's stable even though it was designed by a chap in Australia. The only Australian things I managed to take from the design of the Trax is the rear bumper shares the same silver insert as the VE Commodore and even risking my integrity here, the front of the car resembles a Koala, with the mesh grill its nose, headlights for eyes and big mirrors as the ears. Don't look at me that way, I swear, I'm not the only one who thinks the Trax and a Koala share a similar look!

The front bumper's deep in the style of many of the new GM range which does make going over bumps a tad on the scary side when you approach any, especially the overzealous 'speed bumps' of many urban Auckland streets. It easily makes it over almost anything though, its mostly just a mental wall you have to overcome than anything physical about the Trax.

Practicality wise the Trax is great. Taller than your average hatchback yet smaller than an SUV means chucking stuff in the boot is a simple pick up and push in, yet you don't have the massive cavern of unused space you almost always have with SUV ownership - that is unless you happen to own a few Labradors.

The market could do with more cars like the Trax I think. 2wd and high so that Remuera tractor owners can get rid of their giant BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne and jump into something more urbanised and useful for the trip to the supermarket than a giant full sized, 4wd equipped SUV.

The only grip I had with the Trax however was the dash. The cluster itself was a funky - almost motorbike styled unit. But the plastic dash it was nestled into was a bit unsightly and had a pair of strange inserts on either side that I can only think of as sunglasses holders.

Almost as an afterthought (I will admit it as something I had forgotten) - GM/Holden have a full power socket into the back of the centre console. That's right, if you felt the need you could plug in anything you wanted into the back of the Trax.

No word yet on whether you could plug jumper leads in there and jump your Trax - from your Trax...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.