Skip to main content

Quick Drive: Subaru WRX Nemesis



Ok I'm going to admit it here. When I first saw the WRX Nemesis parked at the office I was excited. My history with Subarus has been some of the best motoring experiences of my life, yet the time I spent in the $54,000+ special edition Nemesis truly hammered home a sad fact that I hate myself for writing.

Subaru has really has lost its way with this WRX parts bin special.

The limited time I spent in the car around Auckland I will admit was not an ideal length of time nor the ideal location for testing a 2.5L turbocharged Subaru, so please keep that in mind while reading this. However going on the shoot and getting to spend both time in the drivers and passengers seat has given me some strong initial impressions about the car.

Firstly is the interior. The previous generation WRX (I'm talking the GDA chassis here) had a typically Japanese interior. Plastic dash, not a huge amount of features and a budget feel to it, and that didn't matter too much, but what we have in the WRX Nemesis is a car that is meant to be more than a WRX, but not quite as awesome as an STI. For the extra dosh you have to put forward to get your hands on one of the 12 cars I would have thought a more upgrade filled car would be on offer.
Sadly the dash is very much of a finish you would expect on a sub $30,000 vehicle than one over $50k, made of a very hard plastic that screams budget and really ruins the interior feel of the car.

The gear shifter looks like something straight out of the 80's, a strangely shaped blob of plastic that isn't anything special at all. For a special edition I would have thought Subaru NZ would have fitted an STi accessory knob to spice up things a little.

It does have leather bucket seats which at first glance counters this budget feeling, but sitting in them is again another story. The leather isn't of the highest quality it would seem and doesn't feel right in a performance oriented car, cloth seats with a special embroidery would have done it for the exclusivity factor, like the mid 90's Impreza WRC specials with the 555 embroidery as an example. The seats are also nowhere near as supportive as previous generations of the WRX were blessed with, but most people already know that the current crop of WRX is quite soft.

Speaking of, the suspension setup of this car is quite soft. I was able to get a good lean on during our shoot about Auckland at speeds lower than the suburban speed limit. Another item I would have thought was easily upgraded to full STi  spec, and not just supposedly stiffer (though my experience said not by very much) springs.

My disappointment didn't end there. The brakes were factory WRX, albeit with a coat of what could've been Repco red heat resistant paint (red brakes adds 5kw you know) and the only performance upgrade I could easily spot was an STI front strut brace. The Nemesis does have a little bit more power than the standard WRX, but at around 10-15kw its nothing to write home about.

The Nemesis does have a few saving graces. The clutch pedal has a long engagement which makes getting into the car and operating it around town a breeze. Highway driving is entertaining also as the turbo is just a quick downshift from 5th gear (Top in the Nemesis) to 4th to get it to its sweet kick in spot for a ride along the torque surge wave. It's also fantastic at getting waves and smiles from people you happen to pass which is nice if you're one for grabbing attention at every opportunity. Lastly the wheels nicely offset the car from its WRX and STi siblings.

For your money you do get an engine with around 300bhp, a very cool bodykit including the STI sedan wing, a set of black 17 inch rims and the exclusivity of owning 1 of just 12 examples of the WRX Nemesis, and naturally there will be people out there to buy them,  the Crouching Tiger WRX's did sell after all and it feels like every few days I spot an example on the streets of Auckland.

Is the name Nemesis deserved? I don't think so, the car is far too soft for such a hard core bruiser of a name. If it was my money I would spend the extra dosh and go for the full blown WRX STI to get the more powerful engine, Brembo brakes and tuned suspension for the real road warrior, and the last of the Impreza based WRXs if you believe Subaru will succeed in bringing back the crazy that made the first generation Impreza WRX one of the best drivers sedans of the 90s. I've got my fingers crossed they hit the nail on the head next time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw

#RoadTest: 2014 Yamaha SR400

Photos by Ted Baghurst A kick starter... when was the last time you HAD to use a kick starter? For me the answer is never. Sure I've ridden kick-started bikes, but the last time I did I was still under 10 and my cousin started it for me before I promptly crashed it into an electric fence. With the 2014 Yamaha SR400 you have no option; there is only a kick starter to get this 399cc thumper going. Don't worry though; it's a piece of cake and incredibly rewarding to kick the SR400 into life . Yamaha NZ have brought back the classic SR400 with modern touches like electronic fuel injection, but you won’t be thumbing an electric starter to get it running, no sir. Yamaha are putting the classic feel back into the segment by giving it a kick starter only. Better start warming up that right leg then. The soulful little thumper has been around since 1978 in one form or another. Displacing 399cc from its 17.1kW air-cooled single cylinder which; apart from

#RoadTest: Yamaha XJ6NL

"Is your helmet sweaty?" he asked. Well now, this is an odd and quite private question for this early in the morning. Let me backtrack a bit here. I'm in our central Auckland photoshoot location with Driven's photographer shooting the newly learner legal Yamaha XJ6NL that I've been testing for the past week. Full size, leaner legal and more than enough power for any restricted class licence holder, the XJ6NL is quite a surprising package. The 2014 XJ6NL from Yamaha is a serious piece of kit, that you can't help but think only just manages to sneak it's way into the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (or LAMS) by virtue of having a restricted throttle movement compared to its full power siblings. The throttle moves just 1cm from fully closed to fully open - being restricted at the throttle body for LAMS specification. The bike itself is identical to the fully faired FZ6R too, just minus the fairing and thus a little bit cheaper in the outset.