Skip to main content

The Project Car


So as per my post a few weeks ago I decided to get myself a project car. Now previously to me a project car has been a car with the end goal of enormous amounts of grunt and cool factor, but this one will be a little different.

The car itself is a 1993 Toyota MR2 Targa Top (removeable roof panels) with a manual transmission, 16inch wheels and not a great amount of anything going for it. But that will change.


The first plans with this car are to get it road legal. In the state I took ownership it was in a bit of a sad state, lacking in a sealed roof, Warrant of Fitness and registration. Upon taking it to my handy WoF guy Andy @Millhouse Motors in Ashfield Road in Glenfield (09-444-7115) we found the MR2 to be in very good condition, with the only thing needed to get it road legal were tightening the Hand Brake/E-Brake (depending on your philosophical bent) and an update of its Registration licensing fees.


The plan for this car is pretty simple. A car that is simple, reliable, and ultimately, very fun to drive in any situation.
To achieve this I plan on replacing the mix of Bridgestone tyres (currently RE001 225/50 R16 on the rear and Potenza GIII 205/50 R16 on the front) with Bridgestone RE002 tyres front and rear in the same staggered size to help with the handling, upgrading the tower bars to slightly heavier duty items from Ultra Racing and rebuilding the standard 3S-GE engine to solve some small issues it currently suffers from, mainly the oil consumption issue due to worn piston rings or valve seals.

This will be a slow project as the Motoring business, although glamourous, does not line ones pockets in
gold. Along the way I hope to put together a couple of 'How to' guides on how to go about certain aspects of the build along with photos to help.


Cheers to Dan Oliver for sorting the handbrake adjustment for me so I could get the car in the above mentioned road worthy state and Andy the WoF guy for being so thorough so we know I'm starting on a solid foundation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maxxis Bravo AT 771 Review

Watch the 3-year ownership review on Youtube! I've owned a set of Maxxis' Bravo AT771 tyres for 3 years now, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. Firstly, I didn't buy these tyres after doing any research on them. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Maxxis before buying these! But with the stipulation that I wanted a set of All Terrain tyres for my Forester in 215/65R16, and that I didn't want to pay over $1500 for them. I ended up paying $1000 fitted and balanced. I took a punt on the 'Mackies' as I've started to call them, and I've got to be honest, I've been pretty happy with them. Sure, they don't look as cool as other All Terrain models out there, but they've worn well and haven't given me any headaches in the 3 years I've had them. The Good Stuff The AT771s have proven to be a really good match for the Subaru in the sand, which is primarily where they've been used apart from highw...

Aprilia SR125 Review

  Aprilia’s motto is “ desined  for racers, built for riders” – but does that translate to their scooter range?   I’ll admit that even with my  usual  level of enthusiasm  at collecting a shiny new bike , I wasn’t expecting a heck of a lot from Aprilia’s SR125  “ Motard ” scooter  out of the box.    After grabbing it from  Bayride  Motorcycles in Tauranga – straight off the showroom floor no less – with just 1km reading on the digital display,  I was expecting  my 80km ride home along the state highway  network  to take  much longer than the norm.   However, to my surprise, the little Aprilia not only made the trip in easy fashion, it hit the legal highway  speed  limit straight out of the box! An impressive feat, considering it was still – technically –   running in when I handed it back and was pushing a top speed which, at times, would  get a ...

Review: Subaru WRX Hyper Blue edition

When you think Subaru WRX the first picture that comes to mind is of a sedan adorned with scoops in the iconic World Rally Blue. I know I do and I still believe WR Blue is one of the best colours to ever adorn a Subaru, but it’s no longer my favourite. Hyper Blue as it is officially known, or Smurf Blue to my twisted mind is the latest and greatest colour to come out of the Subaru factory. Here’s the catch though. There will only be 10 WRX and 10 STI in New Zealand with the limited edition Hyper Blue spec. The colour isn’t the only change for the latest limited edition WRX, the interior has gained a few desirable extras too. The first eye-popping difference to the ordinary WRX is the rows upon rows of blue stitching, carefully colour-matched to the Hyper Blue exterior. A gentle stroke of the finger down any of the multitude of stitched seams and you can feel a certain quality to the stitching. The next big difference to the interior over the standard WRX is the seats, ...